Pages

Wednesday, May 25

my little terror


Dear Miss K,
You my dear have recently taken up tantrums. Yelling, head-flinging, crying like you lost a limb, almost ten month old tantrums. It's kind of hard to take you seriously when you have those two little vampire teeth up top, and when the legs that you're so adamantly kicking have the cutest little rolls on them. Please know that I understand how inviting the...stairs, trash can, recycling bin, toilet and dishwasher are. They are new and amazing...I get that. I also know that you really don't understand me when I say "NO," is that why you smile? Do you secretly understand what I'm saying?
You're strong-willed like your parents. You have your dad's sense of adventure and your mom's enthusiasm for mocking people. We get to see it all on a daily basis. However, there is something I want you to know: every once in awhile there is a tantrum that is so epic or a day that is so tiring that I just have to take a breath and close my eyes. When I do this I'm not cursing you under my breath, I'm not wishing I was on a beach somewhere in Tahiti (well, maybe), and I am never ever ever angry at you. When I close my eyes I think of those little chubby legs, those sweet little vampire teeth, how your daddy makes you crack up by flying you around the living room, how thankful I am that, tantrums and all, I'm your momma.
When I open my eyes and you're looking at me like "how dare you zone out in the middle of this epic display of tantrumdom," I have to laugh.
We're in this together little one, rain or shine.

Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment